17 August 2022
Vilamoura, Portugal – “We did it again”, another fabulous sailing day in Vilamoura. Two races were completed today at the 2022 ILCA 4 Youth World Championships, hosted by Vilamoura Sailing. Another day of excellent sailing conditions, the sea breeze held 12–16 knots for all six fleets to successfully get off their races and be back on shore by 18:00
Italy’s U16 sailor Nicolas Cassitta passed his teammate Massimiliano Antoniazzi on the leaderboard by one point after sailing two bullets in the red fleet today and now leads the boys division. Antoniazzi won his first race today in the yellow fleet, but placed 11th in race 6, which then became his dropped race. Antoniazzi now has 10 net points, tied with Greece’s Dionysios Kalpogiannakis who also won his first race today in the green fleet, but then placed 12th in race 6.
In the girls division, Italy’s Ginevra Caracciolo has maintained consistency at this championship so far, and it is paying off. After finishing with a first and sixth today (the sixth has been dropped), Caracciolo now sits in first overall ahead of teammate Maria Vittoria Arseni who had a more challenging day, finishing with a BFD and an eighth. Annemijn Algra of the Netherlands is just one point behind Arseni heading into the fourth day.
Two races are scheduled for tomorrow, with the first warning signal at 14:00.
1. Nicolas Cassitta (ITA) – 9 pts
2. Massimiliano Antoniazzi (ITA) – 10 pts
3. Dionysios Kalpogiannakis (GRE) – 10 pts
4. Omer Vered Vilenchik (ISR) – 11 pts
5. Salvatore Falchi (ITA) – 15 pts
1. Ginevra Caracciolo (ITA) – 12 pts
2. Maria Vittoria Arseni (ITA) – 15 pts
3. Annemijn Algra (NED)– 16 pts
4. Petra Marendic (CRO) – 16 pts
5. Alina Shapovalova (UKR) – 20 pts